In August 1788 Argand lamps were installed, Portland being the first lighthouse in England to be fitted with them. In the upper or old house there were two rows, seven in each row, lighted with oil and furnished with highly-polished reflectors. Low light tests were made by Thomas Rogers with his new lens light, and six Argand lamps were installed, their lights increased by lenses.
In 1798, when Napoleon threatened invasion, two 18lb cannons were installed at the lighthouse.
저번에 Portland (포틀랜드) 위에서 바라본 Chesil beach Link 를 보여 드렸는데 이번에는 포틀랜드 남쪽 끝에 있는 등대 (Portland Bill) 입니다.
아마도 이 사진이 모든 것을 보여 드릴것입니다. 왼쪽 아래 끝에 등대가 보이실 겁니다. 그리고 왼쪽 위로 길게 뻗은 것이 Chesil beach 입니다.